Generally it is seen that most of the students getting good marks in their board exams choose to study science/maths at the +2 level. Few students study commerce and remaining students (very few) choose to study arts (humanities) or they have to study it because they could not get through in other streams. A hierarchy has been made by the society among these streams. Studying arts is considered the streams of the inferiors. Well, things are not like that. It’s just a perception that nothing can be achieved with Arts. In the present era of globalization, numerous opportunities have come up for arts students.
Arts is a vast field, it comprises of subjects like Psychology, Economics, History, Sociology, Political Science, Geography, Music, Visual arts , Fine Arts, Performing Arts, Public Administration, Anthropology, Philosophy, Languages including Foreign Languages and so many other subjects. All these subjects are very interesting to read and related to daily life.
While studying psychology can provide us the opportunity to be a Psychologist and to improve the mental well-being of the society, studying Economics can get us into Indian Economics Services and help the country’s economy grow faster. A bachelor’s degree in Foreign languages like French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Russian can easily get us a well-paid job in MNC’s as well as jobs as a translator/interpreter in Embassies. One can also choose to work as tourist guides. One can crack CAT exams after +2 and join any management college and get recruited in top companies. To enter into law, one needs to crack CLAT. Journalism provides the chance to be a reporter, anchor, editor etc. Apart from these, there are several competitive exams which demand Graduation in any discipline. These include Civil Services exams; SSC combined Graduate level exams, recruitments in Army, Navy and paramilitary forces, banking jobs etc.
Clearly, there is no lack of opportunity for arts students.
Below is the list of some courses & colleges.
· B.A(hons.) foreign languages-J.N.U, B.H.U, E.F.L university, Delhi University, Jamia Millia Islamia & cultural centres of different countries like Instituto Cervantes, Alliance francisse, Max Muller Bhawan etc.
· B.A(hons.) arts in Psychology, Sociology, Economics, History, Geography etc.- Delhi university, Banaras Hindu University, Jamia Milia Islamia, Aligarh Muslim University & several other colleges.
· P.G in journalism-IIMC, New Delhi. Makhanlal chaturvedi patrakarita sansthan, Bhopal , B.H.U
· LAW-to get into different law colleges one has to crack CLAT (common law admission test) after +2.
· MANAGEMENT-after Graduation one has to crack CAT (common admission test) and several other entrance exams.
· CIVIL SERVICES-after Graduation one can appear in civil services examination.
· Fine Arts, visual arts. Performing arts- B.H.U, J.N.U
These are only few examples given here, but there is much more scope in Arts. One needs to analyse his/her potential to be successful in life.